The Golden Retriever Club of Western New York (GRC of WNY) members are Golden Retriever enthusiasts that live around the Western New York area. The members have many different backgrounds and activity levels with our Golden Retrievers. Many of the members compete with our dogs in conformation, obedience/rally, field, agility, therapy dog, etc. For the most part just enjoy the companionship of our dogs.
The primary objective of the Club:
- To encourage and promote educated involvement with pure-bred Golden Retrievers and to do everything possible to bring their natural abilities and qualities to perfection.
- To urge members to accept the AKC breed standard.
- To do all in its power to protect and advance the interest of the breed by encouraging sportsmanlike competition at dog shows, field trials, and obedience trials.
- To conduct, under the rules of the AKC, sanctioned matches, field trials, obedience trials, and specialty shows.
Annual events held by the Club:
- General meetings are held at least six times a year. Programs are offered as available after the general meeting, on topics of interest to owners, exhibitors, and/or breeders. The Club often invites outside speakers with expertise in many areas (health, training, rescue or other areas pertinent to the Golden Retriever). Members may bring their dogs to the general meetings (unless requested no dogs to attend). Dogs in attendance must be under control, clean, and exhibit no signs of communicable illness. Young pups especially find this a good socializing experience.
- The Club publishes a newsletter for our members, The Golden Times, which is the source of current information on the Club’s activities. Our website contains facts about our club, updates on current events and issues, and links to even more information regarding Golden Retrievers.
- Hosting a Designated Specialty (Hamburg, NY). We are proud that usually 100% of the specialty trophies we offer are generously donated by our members. We owe our success to the volunteer spirit of our members who contribute their time and effort to the many large and small tasks that go into planning and hosting this event.
- The Club supports the fundraising efforts for the Golden Retriever Foundation, particularly its cancer research projects.
- Summer fun day/picnic for its members and dogs. With pot-luck dishes to pass and games for the dogs, the idea is to relax, visit with friends, and have a good time.
- Annual Meeting banquet is held in November. At this meeting new officers
are installed and perpetual trophies and yearly achievement awards are presented. The
Club has acquired many beautiful trophies through member sponsors throughout the
years and it is a proud moment for members to be recognized for their varied
accomplishments with their dogs.
- Holiday party, usually at the home of a member. Activities, besides enjoying the good food and good cheer, include an auction to raise money for the club treasury of items donated by participants. There is also the usually uproarious gift exchange.
Special events held by the Club:
- Health Clinics
- CCA – Certificate of Conformation Assessment – learn more
- WC/WCX – learn more
- Special programs as available